Thursday, November 15, 2012

November Blooms


This will probably be the last month for outdoor blooms here in our zone 5b garden until next spring. There are still a few hardy hangers-on in sheltered spots, in spite of frosts we've had each night this week. Borage seedlings are sheltered near the foundation of our house.  Even so they probably won't last much longer.




I'm not sure I've shown a shasta daisy photo on Bloom Day before.  I always forget about them because they're in a spot where there aren't many other things (yet!)  They're in a very dry spot where the soil is pretty sandy.  In spite of the heat and drought this year, they thrived, and bloomed all summer.  This last single bloom somehow escaped the clutches of bunnies who eat so much of our garden.
 

We've had some good rains this month that helped revive this hardy cyclamen.  The blooms are declining now, but the beautiful foliage will remain until it goes dormant in late spring.  It was great to find the other two cyclamens come back after the rain.  They didn't bloom this year, but the foliage is still beautiful and I'm happy knowing they survived the drought.


If we have any outdoor blooms left by December, they will likely be on this mini-rose.  It often retains its foliage and flowers into mid-or-late December.


Sedum 'Matrona' was extraordinarily long-blooming this year.  These tough plants laugh at drought.



Geranium 'Rozanne' lives in a sheltered spot, and this year she sports three last blooms that, while on their way out, still managed to retain their color after several frosty nights.


Pink mums are still hanging on.  The blooms on the orange mums are all gone - eaten by something, most likely rabbits.  I'm amazed there are any mum blooms left.  The orange ones are always the first to go, and these are probably not long for the world.  Every time I'm in the garden now, a couple of bunnies skitter out of their leafy, insulated garden hiding places.

As the gardening season draws to close here in the Chicago area, we're already busy planning for next season, while tending our basement greenhouse, bursting at the seams with tender plants already blooming again after being cut back and brought indoors last month.  Every sunny window upstairs is lined with even more of them.

Happy Bloom Day, and to see more blooms in gardens everywhere, please visit Carol at May Dreams Gardens.

23 comments:

  1. Lovely blooms! especially for November. I have nothing left in my gardens. All done for the winter here in New Hampshire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deane. With our chilly temperatures lately, these blooms won't be around much longer. I even found a couple of phlox flowers - those were quite surprising to see. Keep warm!

      Delete
  2. LOVE the Cyclamen...and the Borage...especially with the fiery red foliage behind it. I adore 'Rozanne', even though she's slowing down these days, she's still tops for me ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scott. Yep - 'Rozanne's a favorite, as you can probably tell. It's the longest bloomer I've ever seen.

      Delete
  3. Cyclamen in Zone 5? Who knew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - there actually are hardy cyclamen, Carolyn. First time I saw them was at the IGC Show a few years ago, and I HAD to have some.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous10:03 PM

    I just planted some Sedum Matronna, can't wait to see it bloom next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll love it. It does tend to flop though. Pinching it around May or so helps with that. I really enjoy the pink stems the blushed foliage, and of course, the blooms and seed heads.

      Delete
  5. Linda, Your photos are especially lovely today! The borage is the best blue ever and I am missing my cyclamen. Happy Bloom Day...xog

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm amazed at how many blooms you still have left, Linda! Love the borage set against the burning bush and the dainty blooms of the cyclamen. I still haven't posted for Bloom Day and just came back from trying to get some photos--everything is covered in frost here and other than pansies in a pot, nothing seems to be blooming. Your house must be full of color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rose. Yep, I'm surprised how quickly everything's recovered from being cut back, with a lot of stuff blooming again.

      Delete
  7. I find the idea of basement greenhouses fascinating. I often wonder if I would struggle to live where you are and not be able to garden for so long but I suppose you get used to it.

    I do like that geranium

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do get used to it Helen. I've lived here all my life so it seems 'normal.' I kind of enjoy the winter break from gardening, and the extra time to pursue other interests.

      Delete
  8. Hi there
    Wow, you still got a lot of flowers in your garden in this time of the year. My garden looks rather boring in his brown winter gown. I love your pink mom.
    Take care
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty brown here too, Alex, but we still have a few blooms here and there. Now that the orange mum blooms are gone, the rabbits are starting to go to work on the pink ones! Within a few days those will probably all be gone too.

      Delete
  9. Wow--you still have many blooms for November! I just ordered several hardy cyclamen to add to our garden, and I'm so looking forward to it--yours are lovely. Happy Thanksgiving to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes some getting used to, still having blooms here in November, Julie. We used to have frost almost always in Mid-October. The last three or four years, it's been November. I like having late blooms, but worry about the reasons. Climate change seems to be affecting all parts of the globe.

      Delete
  10. Thank you, Nela. I hope you had a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous3:24 PM

    Blogger ate my long, rambling post about cyclamen and why I like it when I see it in your November posts, but don't like it when I see them at garden centers and greenhouses. Anyway, I'm going to give planter a tuber of it another try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They still bring back memories of that first IGC show you invited me to attend, MBT!

      So sorry Blogger ate your initial comment - something tells me it would have been interesting!

      Delete
  12. Anonymous4:38 PM

    Hi. Do you know of a way to get through to the folks who run the Chicago Gardener website? I have written to their gmail account three times without getting any response. I've listed them on my blogroll, and would like to be have a link there to my new posts. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jason, you're listed on it now. Cheers, Linda

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by! Comments are welcomed, and while I may not always respond here, I'm happy to pay you a visit.

While comments are invited, links to commercial websites are not, and comments containing them will be deleted.

(Note to spammers: Don't bother. Your comments are promptly deleted. Hiding in older posts won't help - they're moderated.)