Saturday, March 22, 2008

My Turn!

Melanie at Old Country Gardens has tagged me. The last time I played tag I was in grade school! Here's how it works. I post 10 weird or random facts about me that most people don't know. Then at the end I tag 5 more bloggers and state why I tagged them. (I'll play without tagging - hope that doesn't make me a poor sport!)

1. I'm left-handed. On the last day of kindergarten, the teacher told my mom to make me learn to write with my right hand before she brought me back to school for first grade. (Mom wisely didn't take her advice.) The only thing I do right-handed is cut, because they didn't have left-handed scissors in school. I even cut right-handed with a knife.

2. Two of my three daughters were born at home (on purpose.)

3. I'm a grandma. (Most people don't believe it when they see me.)

4. I have a 7-year old black lab mix named George who is currently visiting relatives. I'm missing him more and more, especially after that little incident involving the police a few weeks ago. . . but I still don't miss the dog hair on my floors. He sheds a lot. I mean, a LOT.

5. My great-grandfather was a singer in the NY Metropolitan Opera chorus.

6. My great-uncle was a Broadway actor. (he also did movies, commercials, off-Broadway, and industrial films.)

7. My family has a town named after us.

8. My middle daughter's first 'boyfriend' in preschool was the son of my on-again, off-again jr high and high school sweetheart. I knew about her little crush, but didn't realize whose kid he was until the last day of preschool. (And man, did that little boy look like his dad.)

9. I'm afraid of heights. Very. Especially bridges over water. Don't ask me to drive the Chesapeake Bay Bridge! Never again. Ever. I don't know why I'm scared of heights, I just am.

10. I often feel I was born in the wrong century, or at least in the wrong decade. I feel that way less as I get older and it sinks in that if I'd been born when I think I should have been. . . . I'd be dead by now. and I'm glad I'm not. So I guess I was born at the right time.

Melanie, this was fun! Thank you for the nice things you said when you tagged me.

Tune in Monday morning everyone, for the rest of the story of Grandpa's contraption!

13 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:34 AM

    Hi Linda, it's nice to meet you! I came from Melanie and Cinj...very nice list you have, thanks for sharing. It's wonderful to meet new people and read what they are writing :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grandpa's family are of English descent. There is a castle in England and several buildings or places in North America that bear his family name. The names can be traced at least back to the 1100s A.D. The small town in this country that you are speaking of was named for a direct forebear of Grandpa's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Linda, nice job! Glad your mom didn't listen to your teacher. My mom was forced to write with her right hand and is extremely dyslexic (only when it comes to writing).

    I don't like heights either but I especially can't stand seeing either of my daughters standing on a dock or leaning over the water. It makes me absolutely sick. As for being born in the wrong time period, I thought I was the only person who felt that way. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:30 AM

    Aw, loved the pic of your dog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kathi, nice to meet you too. I enjoyed your list, and enjoyed reading some of your other posts too. It's neat you're blogging with your mom and sister. I'm not-so-gently encouraging my mom to post some family stories here on a regular basis. . . (shhhh, don't tell her. . . )

    Oh, hi Mom! I didn't see you come in. Ummm. . . SO, how's the wather by you. . . Um. . . Right, Grandpa. . . I've always thought we had an interesting, colorful family history, and I really think it's cool that our roots are traced back so far.

    Thank you Melanie! It was fun! I'm glad too. . .Mom was such a common-sense person, she never bought into silliness like that, and she always loved us exactly as we were. still does.

    Jill, he's the sweetest, most wonderful dog you can imagine. He's everyman's dog, kidnapped for a while by a daughter and grandson. He grew up with daughter so he's happy as a clam. I cried the last time I saw him, I miss him so much! (I STILL do not miss the hair.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Linda, I followed Melanie's link in the tag game to your blog. Glad to meet you. I look forward to reading your blog in the future.
    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:53 PM

    Linda, I just spent some time reading your posts and I want you to know what an amazing writer you are, I enjoyed everything I've read and look forward to more, more, more.

    Your Mom is priceless, keep nudging her along :), I also enjoyed reading about your Grandmother :).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kathryn, It's nice to meet you! I was just visiting your blog. I enjoyed reading, really liked the vintage botanical prints. So pretty.

    Hi Kathi, Thanks for popping back over. Thanks so much for your kind comments. I'm glad you're enjoying my blog. I'm having a lot of fun with it. And I'm having fun working on my mom to get some family stories down in writing. Those stories are priceless and I want to preserve as many as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous5:27 PM

    I can't believe how many things we have in common...
    I had four of my four children at home (on purpose!).
    I could be a grandma and nobody would believe it (I still get carded sometimes)
    I'm afraid of heights and bridges that move particularly!
    My family name has a castle in Ireland (we think we were illegitimate strain)
    My family has several properties on or near the Chesapeake - my grandma still lives there.
    My grandfather was a well respected jazz musician during its heyday in NYC. I heard we once had a farm where hell's kitchen is, but that seems like a stretch. (Irish story tellers, the lot!)
    I guess we're kindred spirits. How delightful.
    Happy spring!
    XXKHT

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous9:08 PM

    Wow--you have an impressive list. You do look young. I bet you liked the 50's. I wish I had a mom like yours. She sounds awesome and I see she reads your blog--wonderful. It was fun getting to know you a bit better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's pretty cool Kimberley, all the stuff we have in common. I had in-laws east of the Bay bridge and have crossed it many times. I prefer to do it with my eyes closed. Moving, swaying bridges. . . no thank you very much!

    Thank you Anna. Yeah, I lucked out in the Mom department. She is a gem. We're very close, always have been. Growing up, all my friends liked her. and she liked them. She's a sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would never have thought for such a lovely young lady to be a supergran. (btw i'm not saying it's weird, i'm just complimenting here). And I've also just realized your mom wanders through and comments on your blog. Awesome. I remember the photo of the wonderful, intact countryside where your folks live. Places like that just overwhelm me anytime. To end my pondering, I'll allow myself to notice you're one bunch of surprisingly interesting people and I'm also glad you decided to spread the GTA plague, whose wicked tentacles surely got a good hold of me. Respect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Viooltje, I have one grandchild and another one on the way!

    My mom and I are very close - we always have been. I don't even remember not getting along when I was a teenager.

    It's so beautiful where she lives. (They do have a lot of bugs there though, including spiders!)

    I'm glad you enjoyed the tag. I certainly did. I've enjoyed visiting everyone's blogs and learning more about everyone. I love the way you classified it as a disease. It really has seemed to spread like one!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Comments are welcomed, and while I may not always respond here, I'm happy to pay you a visit.

While comments are invited, links to commercial websites are not, and comments containing them will be deleted.

(Note to spammers: Don't bother. Your comments are promptly deleted. Hiding in older posts won't help - they're moderated.)