Thursday, March 13, 2008

Lisa at Greenbow's Book Meme

Since moving in with DH four years ago, I've tucked books into every available corner of this house from the built-in bookcases in the den to our bedroom's walk-in closet. The books I couldn't find places for are in boxes in the basement. Next to my desk there's a small bookcase with. . . you guessed it, more books. I have a collection of vintage and antique books I use as accessories in a few strategic spots just because they're so darned beautiful and interesting. And yes, in case you're wondering, they're not just pretty. . . I have actually read all of them. (The little gift in the left corner of the chest is something I picked up for my daughter and son-in-law to celebrate their pregnancy announcement!)

My desk has a book case hutch, four cabinets, and a drawer. Every space in the desk is crammed with, yep, books again! The 'coffee table' in my living room isn't a coffee table - it's really an antique piano bench. There are books in and on it, books on the den coffee table, and books in the drawers of the antique desk in the living room. So I guess you could say I read a little bit. No matter what room I'm in, there's a book arms-length away or no more than a few steps away. Next to gardening, reading is my greatest passion. What's your greatest passion besides gardening?

Here's the meme: (Like Lisa, I'm not tagging anyone.)

1. Pick up the nearest book of at least 123 pages.
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people.

Here in the office the nearest book is The Well-Designed Mixed Garden by Tracy DiSabato-Aust:

"In a large garden, there is more room to play! You can afford to use more plants with a short season of interest than is usually the case with a small garden. Of course, the purposeful use of plants and various materials is still a requirement to be able to get away with a bit more frill."

She considers a large garden to be one more than 3,000 square feet. My main bed is about 1,000 square feet of dry shade, not large by her standards. After a day of planting or preening or pulling maple seedlings it gets to feelin' pretty large to me!

2 comments:

  1. My greatest passion besides gardening is ...reading! How do you like that, I have books all over my house too. As for both of my daughters? Reading! They too have books all over the place. Great post and great meme!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melanie, there's gardening, there's reading, and then. . . there's reading about gardening!

    Like yours, my daughters are passionate readers. Their love of books started when they were small and continues in their adult years.

    Reading is a bond to share even with adult children. My girls and I have some great conversations sparked by things we read. We loan books back and forth too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Comments are welcomed, and while I may not always respond here, I'm happy to pay you a visit.

While comments are invited, links to commercial websites are not, and comments containing them will be deleted.

(Note to spammers: Don't bother. Your comments are promptly deleted. Hiding in older posts won't help - they're moderated.)