Thursday, July 3, 2008

'Arte' y Pico' Award!



Many thanks to Violet at Lady Greenthumb's Garden, and Anna at Flowergardengirl's Blog for gifting me with this award. I've been reading and enjoying these two fine women's blogs for several months now, and congratulate them for having receiving the awards from readers of their blogs. By the way, Anna has started a new blog called Woody and Herbaceous. If you haven't already, you should check it out!

As I understand it, 'Arte y Pico' translates as something like 'peak of art.' The origin of the Arte y Pico Award: "This prize has arisen from the daily visits that I dedicate to many blogs which nourish me and enrich me with creativity. In them I see dedication, creativity, care, comradeship, but mainly, ART, much art. I want to share this prize with all those bloggers that entertain me day to day and to share this prize with those who enrich me every day. Doubtlessly, there are many and it will be hard to pick just a few. The people I will name today deserve this prize, as do the very long serious list of bloggers I also enjoy to read. But I will name the first 10 and leave the rest of the work to all the bloggers that visit other's blogs and are nourished by them."

The rules for accepting this award are:

1. You pick 5 blogs you consider deserving of this award through creativity, design, interesting material, and also contribute to the blogger community, no matter of language.
2. Each award should have the name of the author with a link to their blog.
3. Award winners post the award with the name and link to the blog of the person who gave them the award.
4. Please include a link to the “Arte Y Pico” blog so everyone will know where the award came from.
5. Show these rules

It's been nearly impossible to narrow down my choices for the award. There's a long list of blogs I think are worthy. I bit the bullet though, and here are my picks, in no particular order:

Melanie at Old Country Gardens. I've been reading Melanie's blog since first discovering gardening blogs several months ago. Melanie is a talented, artistic, knowledgeable gardener, with extensive, varied, beautiful, and inspiring gardens in her acreage on Long Island. I learn something new nearly every time I visit her blog.

Meems at Hoe and Shovel. Meems gardens in beautiful, tropical Florida. Her gardens are so beautiful! I'm partial to tropical plants and overwinter several of them in my basement under a sodium light. Meems overwinters her tropical plants in her garden where they easily survive the usually-mild winters. I envy her falls, winters, and springs - her summers, not so much! This year she grew her first vegetable garden. Her posts on the veggie garden inspired me to find a spot in our side yard where I'm seriously considering a vegetable garden next spring.

Gail at Clay and Limestone. Gail gardens in Tennessee on her beautiful property. Her tough soil hasn't stopped her from creating lush landscapes with lots of natives and a great variety of cultivated plants. Her warmth, passion, and sense of humor shine through her posts and her comments on other blogs.

Monica at Garden Faerie Musings. Monica is a master gardener living in Michigan. If you haven't checked out her new blog Full Bloom on MLive, a Michigan website, I highly recommend you waste no time doing so! Monica's been gardening and writing about it both personally and professionally for a long time. She plans a trip to Chicago sometime in the next month, and we hope to meet for a visit to the Chicago Botanic Gardens while she's here!

Mr. McGregor's Daughter. A garden-blogging neighbor, MMD lives in the Chicago area too. I've learned a lot visiting her woodland garden and from her comments here and at other garden blogs. Her gardens combine natives and cultivated plants. Like the other garden bloggers listed here, she's a good writer and photographer, and a garden-blogging friend. She and the other bloggers I've picked here are all smart, socially-and-environmentally responsible women who do their best to make their corners of the world better places.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks so much! You're too kind. I'm honored to be in such company. I declined the "E" award, but I think I might have to try to accept this one. I just have trouble with the pass it on thing, so it might be awhile before I get to that point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooops, I forgot to add, let me know when you & Monica are going to the CBG & I'll join you if I can. My email is neoanarchy13@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda,

    Why thank you and you've been too kind in your description of me! Like MMD it is hard to pass along...it means having to narrow the choices down and there are just too many good bloggers out there...what to do what to do? Oh, by the way, I feel really honored.

    If I may, mmd, that email address is fabulous!

    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your award! I've picked up a lot of tips from your blog, and I also enjoy your nostalgic posts. Great choices to pass it along.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations. It is well deserved. It's so hard to choose blogs, but I think you did a great job of picking blogs too. I had thought about awarding some of those very same blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. MMD, you're welcome. I know what you mean about the pass it on thing. . . . it's hard to narrow down choices like that.

    I've sent you an email regarding the botanic gardens. Hope you can make it!

    Gail, you're welcome too. I completely understand the dilemma. That's what I don't like about these things. But, when it keeps getting passed around like this, it seems to make it all the way around eventually :-). I did my best to make sure I gave to people who hadn't already gotten it. By the time it dies out, everyone will have one, as it should be. I think we all put a lot of ourselves and our time into our blogs, and we all deserve awards!

    Rose, thank you! I'm glad you enjoy reading it. It's fun for me to do it, and nice to know other people besides me enjoy it!

    Nancy, thank you! And congratulations to you too for receiving the award!

    Cinj, thank you! And congratulations to you on your award!

    If y'all both hadn't already gotten 'em, it would have made narrowing it down to five that much harder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! I enjoy reading your blog, you have such a wonderful home here. Have a beautiful 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Linda,
    Gee, what a nice award to be handed AND by one of my favorite blog people in all of gardening blog land! We DO have favorites but with so many great blogs and great people blogging to choose 5 to pass along an award to does complicate matters.

    This one especially is an honor since I am first and foremost a designer/artist wannabe. I love what this award symbolizes... peak of art.

    Thank you.

    You are much deserving of this symbol as well as the company you've chosen to place me in. Congrats to all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous1:41 PM

    You are so deserving of the award and thanks for all you do in the gardening world. What touches me so much is your desire to give people what you would want yourself. I also love the fact that you appreicate your upbringing and honor what you inherited. In so many ways, I admire you. It is hard to choose from all your blogging friends. I love the ones you picked also. They have really made the blotanical world rock. My hats off to them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Kathi! And congratulations on your award too!

    I hope you had a wonderful 4th.

    Aw, thank you Meems. I enjoy the way people's character and spirits come through their blogs. We put so much of ourselves into our gardens and our blogs that it shouldn't surprise me. It's so nice to feel such warmth and friendship throughout the garden blogging community, even though most of us have never met.

    You're more than an artist and designer wannabe. One look at your extraordinary gardens is irrefutable proof of that!

    Thank you Anna, for your kind words and for gifting me with this award.

    I admire you too - your talent and creativity, your passion and compassion, your devotion to your family, and all you contribute to the gardening world.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Comments are welcomed, and while I may not always respond here, I'm happy to pay you a visit.

While comments are invited, links to commercial websites are not, and comments containing them will be deleted.

(Note to spammers: Don't bother. Your comments are promptly deleted. Hiding in older posts won't help - they're moderated.)